This month’s news round up will feature in Issue #3 of wom*news – due out Feb 22nd! Get your hands on a copy from us on Market Day.
▪ The Susan G. Komen For The Cure – a foundation working towards a cure for breast cancer, established in 1982 after Susan’s death from the illness – has hit the headlines recently de-funding Planned Parenthood. The backlash against giving more attention to the right-wing anti-abortion cause rather than the anti-cancer cause it was founded for has been paramount.
▪ 6/2/12 marked the UN International Day of Zero Intolerance of Female Genital Mutilation.
▪ February is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. Did you know, three women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer every day, with 75% diagnosed at an advanced stage? Those out there wearing teal ribbons are supporting the cause.
▪ Greens MP Bob Brown said what we’ve all been thinking: that Julia Gillard has been the victim of sexism in the media. Channel Seven’s show Sunrise had a particularly stupid discussion on this topic with two male radio hosts – one who cried that he never had made sexist comments towards her, and that this was all just hooplah by “angry feminists who don’t shave under their arms.”
▪ American actress Octavia Spencer has won a multitude awards for her feministic film The Help, and has spoken out about the what the media are focussing on – no, not her awards – her weight. She was misquoted after the SAG Awards about her attitude towards health and obesity and has decidedly spoken out against this. “Of course I was miffed that not only was I being misrepresented, but it was sending THE WRONG MESSAGE to kids out there. So, I decided to tell you IN MY OWN DAMNED WORDS the truth! First of all, Ladies and Gents here’s what I am NOT DOING…I am NOT WORRYING ABOUT MY WEIGHT! I AM NOT TRYING TO CONFORM TO an unrealistic model of beauty.” Love you, Octavia!
Author Unknown. (2012). Sexist Attacks on Julia Gillard. Video.
Author Unknown. Ovarian Cancer Australia – Awareness. (2010).http://www.ovariancancer.net.au/awareness/
Ryan, E. G. (2012) How The Susan G. Komen Foundation Lost Its Way. http://jezebel.com/5881401/how-the-susan-g-komen-foundation-lost-its-way
Murdoch, C. (2012). Octavia Spencer Fires Back Against The Media. http://jezebel.com/5881849/octavia-spencer-fires-back-against-the-media-who-wont-shut-up-about-her-weight
United Nations. (2012). 9th International Day of Zero Tolerance of Female Genital Mutilation. http://www.unric.org/en/latest-un-buzz/27312-9th-international-day-of-zero-tolerance-to-female-genital-mutilation-more-comprehensive-legislative-and-preventive-efforts-needed-to-end-fgm
Wright, J. (2012). Bob Brown Says Attacks On Gillard Sexist.