After a fantastic 2014 filled with events and activities, the UQWC is looking at another big year in 2015. We have lots planned, and are keen to engage even more of the UQ community with feminist ideas and activism!
The UQ Union Vice-President (Gender and Sexuality) – a.k.a Women’s Officer – for 2015 is Amy Jelacic. She’s keen to connect with heaps of women students from all over UQ, to advocate for women’s rights and well-being on campus, and to support the collective in its activities for 2015. You can find more info here. Feel free to shoot her an email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries, concerns, or ideas!
We’d like to remind the community of all the excellent resources available for students around UQ St Lucia and in the Brisbane community:
- Emergencies at St Lucia Campus – ph. 3365 3333
- UQ Women’s Officer – Amy Jelacic: email@example.com, ph. 3377 2200
- UQ Queer Officer – Annie Danks: firstname.lastname@example.org, ph. 3377 2200
- UQ Disability Support Services: uq.edu.au/student-services/disability
- Lifeline – ph. 13 11 14
- Counselling at UQ Student Services – uq.edu.au/student-services/counselling, ph. 3365 1704or make an appointment in person. This is a free service for all currently-enrolled UQ students
- Mindfulness and Yoga at UQ Student Services – uq.edu.au/student-services/counselling/mindfulness-and-yoga-program. This is a free services for all currently-enrolled UQ students
- SHOC Gender, Sexuality, and Welfare Counselling – make an appointment at uqu.com.au/student-support. SHOC staff are very friendly and welcoming, and can help with a range of issues www.uqu.com.au/meet-the-team
- Isis: The Eating Issues Centre – ph. 3844 6055, isis.org.au
- The Butterfly Foundation – ph. 1800 33 4673, thebutterflyfoundation.org.au
Abortion Information and Services
- Children by Choice (unplanned pregnancy and abortion counselling) – ph. 3357 5377, org.au
- Marie Stopes International (sexual health info, abortion counselling, abortion services – no GP referral required) – drmarie.org.au/locations/#QLD
- Clinics located in Bowen Hills and Wooloongabba – ph. 1300 003 707
- Option Clinic (abortion services) – ph. 3831 8300, optionsclinic.com.au, located at 383 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill
- Greenslopes Day Surgery (abortion services) – ph. 3397 1211, gsds.com.au, located at 687 Logan Road Greenslopes
- Information about RU486 Pill (medical abortion drug) – org.au
Counselling and Support
- Brisbane Rape and Incest Survivors Support Centre (BRISSC) – ph. 3391 0004, brissc.org.au, located at 15 Morrisey St, Woolloongabba
- Zig Zag Young Women’s Resource Centre – ph. 3843 1823, zigzag.org.au/index.html, located at 575 Old Cleveland Rd, Camp Hill
- Open Doors Youth Service (for LGBTIQA youth) – opendoors.net.au/new
- Support for Antenatal and Postnatal Depression – beyondblue.org.au
- Domestic Violence Connect (help for women and men) – dvconnect.org
Make sure you keep up with the UQ Women’s Collective’s work through our Facebook page, and please join up to our Facebook group if you’re a UQ student or staff member who identifies as a a woman and would like to be involved! We share lots of feminist and women-focused articles, pictures, comics, and other info, and also plan meetings, activities, events, and more.
Looking forward to a fab feminist 2015!